Sunday, November 13, 2011

Faces on the Internet

            One of the problems with texting and chatting with friends online is that you can’t express your current facial emotions. Facial emotions aid in communicating feelings and your state-of-mind in conversations and dialogues. Now we can simply use phrases like “*smile*, or *frown* to remedy this problem but the Web has something else in mind… Introducing Smiley Faces! With them, we can actually see a textual-graphical representation of the emotions of our faces! Such a neat invention isn’t it? Below is a list of every smiley face I know (some are uncommon and you might never see it before!) and its meanings:

Icon
Meaning
:)   :D
Standard smile
:-)  :-D
Smile with a nose
:(   :-(
Sad face, (with a nose)
>:-)
Evil grin
^_^
Happy face
:P
Sticking tongue out
XD
Eyes-closed laugh
8-)
Sunglasses
:-X
Sealed mouth
:-#
With Braces
:_(   :’(
Crying
;-)
Winking smile
O:-)
Angel face
:-@
Screaming
%-(     O.o
Confused
:----)
Long nose (Liar!)
:-($)
Put money where mouth is
:@)
Pig smile
@>--;--
@-}---
())>---
Rose
=^.^=
Cat face
<(-_-)>
Robot face
-_-
Annoyed/ What the Hell face
:*
Kissing face
C=:-)
Chef hat
:O
Ooooooh face/ Uh-oh face
<:-)
Uni-brow
d[-_-]b
Head-phones
:-Q
Smoking
-@-@-
Eyeglasses
\VVV/
King
\%%%/
Queen
$_$
Greedy face
@_@
Rolling your eyes
<3  
Heart
(\_/)
(o.o)
(___)0
Bunny
~( 8^(I)
Homer Simpson
(^.^) /\  (^.^)
High-five!
(>'-')>
<('-'<)
^(' - ')^
Kirby dance

All these great graphics are reminding me of the notion of virtual reality Barlow mentioned in his book Blogging America. Virtual realities are modeled to look like the real world (the stimulated environment, the humanoid avatars, some forms of Physics applied) while at the same time, aggressively distinct from real life (Flying abilities, no need to use the bathroom, materials appearing from thin air). These smiley faces, similar to virtual realities, are modeled to represent a human face (e.g. colons to represent eyes, the letter ‘D’ to represent an open mouth) while at the same time, it’s nothing like a human face (e.g. no hair, proportions are out of place...).

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, this is great! I see the more unusual ones and have never known what the heck they mean. Now, I will look at them differently and maybe I can figure them out. I'm interested in knowing more about your physics comment--I'm a closet physics fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Physics fan myself! In fact, I even received a note from my high school Physics teacher that reads I am his best student for me to hand in to my counselor so my counselor can place me into my teacher’s honor physics class.

    Anyway, I have observed through my gaming experiences that standard rules of physics applied in most developed games. It is usually through magic or something similar that seems to kick out natural science.

    Here are some examples on top of my head (unfortunately I have only taken high school physics so my knowledge of physics is pretty limited):

    -The law of gravity usually applies to every game. You fall back down after you jump. A character is usually on a platform that is supplying the normal force to cancel out the force of gravity.

    -In most First Person Shooting games, you suffer damage when jumping from a high area. This occurs because your vertical velocity is accelerated by gravity and when you land on discrete ground, the force from impulse, which is the amount of force exerted in an amount of time to change the velocity (to zero in this case) of an object at a point of impact, is what caused the damage. Impulse is calculated by mass times change in velocity, so the higher velocity a player has at the point of impact, the more damage the damage take. Hence, the longer time a player is in flight, the more impulse, or the more damage the player will take.

    -Again in most games, when you jump from a high area, you will accelerate at first then you’ll stop accelerating and fall in constant velocity. This occurs because you reached your terminal velocity which is when the air resistance equals the force of gravity.

    -In many games such as God of War, your view is distorted under water. This happens because light is refracted when it travels from air to water.

    -Momentum is conserved in racing games.

    ReplyDelete